Milk is highly overrated. It’s one of the biggest nutrition scams pulled over the public. If you like milk you should better start drinking something like almond milk. Generic milk which is sold in the supermarkets could be really harmful for your health.
But the industries don’t care for your health when they make huge profits from you. On the other side you could drink almond milk which is 10x healthier(in the end I will tell you how to make delicious almond milk at home).
However most people choose to buy generic milk because:
1. They don’t know it’s unhealthy.
2. They don’t have money so they end up in buying the cheapest pasteurized milk.
Let me tell you something. If you love drinking milk so much then continue drinking it, but switch to a better alternative like almond milk. Otherwise there is no reason in drinking milk from the supermarkets.
We have been brainstormed by fake ideas like “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” or “milk is essential for proper development”. These things are myths, just like the anabolic window.
Beware: what you will read here will go beyond what you have read in conventional fitness magazines, seen in television and advertised by fitness experts.
I don’t expect you to fully believe what I say because it’s out of the norm. However I want to trigger your critical sense. Don’t accept everything people tell you without some research or critical thinking.
I just give you food for thought. If you decide to follow my advice that’s up to you.
Before getting into details let’s explain some definitons:
- Raw Milk: It’s milk that comes directly from the animal (Cow, Goat) without being processed in a factory.
- Pasteurized Milk: Pasteurization was discovered by Louis Pasteur in the late 1800s. When a liquid, like milk is pasteurized it means that it is boiled in high temperatures to kill some bacteria(not all) and disable some enzymes. This affects the taste and nutritional value of the product.
- Homogenized Milk: Homogenization is the process of applying high pressure to the milk’s molecules to make the cream suspended in the milk instead of floating on the surface.
- (UHT or Ultra High Temp) Pasteurized Milk: In this process the product is completely sterilized by being heated in an even higher temperature than normal pasteurized milk. This makes the product to last even longer in the shelfs of the grocery store.
- G.O.M.A.D: This is an acronym for a gallon of milk a day. In the fitness industry GOMAD is a common practice that skinny guys follow to gain weight.
- Milk sold in grocery stores and supermarkets is processed which means pasteurized, homogenized or UHT pasteurized. There are labels on the milk package that show this.
Processed Milk is Far Away From Healthy & Essential For Proper Development.
Do you know what processed milk really is? It’s a dead liquid with almost zero nutritional value. It is processed in factories to last longer in the shelfs of your supermarket.
Then you buy it and drink it even if it’s 30 days old. Do you think that this thing is really healthy when it can last so many days? When my grandmother produced milk we have to drink it in 2-3 days. This was raw, healthy milk.
Raw milk has a better nutritional value because it’s not put through the violent heating stages and process of pasteurized and homogenized milk. It still keeps many of the natural ingredients that nature offers.
How is that possible?
Animals are fed with hormones and antibiotics to boost milk production and increase the industry’s profits.
These hormones are: recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) and recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST).
These hormones lead to an increased level of IGF or insulin growth hormone factor. High levels of IGF-1 in humans may contribute to several kind of cancers like colon, prostate and breast.
Samuel Epstein, MD, Professor of Environmental Medicine at the University of Illinois School of Public Health, and Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition has said that
Drinking rBGH milk would thus be expected to significantly increase IGF-1 blood levels and consequently to increase risks of developing breast cancer and promoting its invasiveness.
The Food and Drug Administration, World Health Organization, and National Institutes of Health have independently stated that dairy products and meat from BST-treated cows are safe for human consumption.
Therefore, these hormones were approved because it was thought that IGF-1 from milk would be digested by the human body…But is it digested 100% ?
Dairy cattle is given all these hormones and antibiotics by injections to produce more milk which will lead into bigger consumption and higher profits.
Would you risk of putting all these hormones and chemicals into your body by drinking milk when there are other foods that promote muscle growth better than milk ?
Milk is so overrated. Manny from WellBuiltStyle agrees too.
Raw Milk: A Better Alternative or More Bullshit?
Those who prefer drinking raw milk should really know their cows before making any milk purchase. You need to be sure that they are not fed with any processed food and that they are not being injected with antibiotics and hormones.
Or have your own cows.
The only solution is to buy organic milk and check labels that have rBGH-free, rBST-free indicators. Or you could make healthy almond milk at home(more on that soon).
The dairy industry is highly supported by statements and myths about milk’s health benefits like that milk keeps your bones strong. But these theories have not been proved 100%.
Milk keeps your bones strong? Yes, and Haribo is good for your teeth. You don’t need a dentist anymore, just eat Haribo.
No study has proved 100% that the calcium in milk is more efficiently absorbed than calcium in foods. Sure, milk is a good form of calcium but there is some doubt if it’s a better source of calcium than other sources like vegetables.
Moreover calcium is only one of the many minerals that the human body needs to develop strong and healthy bones.
The GOMAD Diet – 1 Gallon Of Milk Per Day
Now you know why drinking milk can be potentially harmful and why I say that almond milk is 10x better. Almond milk doesn’t contain any hormones and you can also make it at home.
But before getting into that let’s speak about the GOMAD diet. It’s a very common diet among skinny guys but I wouldn’t recommend it because of the reasons stated above.
Maybe you could follow GOMAD if you could find raw milk from healthy cows. However, you can get your protein from other sources. It’s even easier to do that rather than drinking 1 gallon of milk every day (1 gallon=4 liters)
GOMAD offers some benefits like:
- Low cost
- Easy weight gain
However these benefits are somehow fake…
Five Reasons Why Gomad Sucks
1) First of all, the low-cost of GOMAD applies mainly if you buy processed milk. If you choose to buy organic raw milk then the cost increases severely. If you live outside the US and especially in Europe milk’s price is higher. 4 liter of milk costs about 5 euro. This equals to 150 euro per month for processed & full of hormones milk.
With the same money you could buy 1 kg of chicken which provides you with 250 gram of protein, 100 grams of fat and a small amount of carbs.
2) Secondly, GOMAD may result to easy weight gain but this weight consists of a lot of FAT. It’s a good way to bulk up if you are extremely skinny, but even then there are better ways to gain muscle mass.
I have made the mistake of trying the 1/2 GOMAD diet in the beginning of my training and the result sucked. I put on some size but I didn’t look good. I don’t want to imagine what would have happened if I have followed a full GOMAD diet plan.
3) Additionally, 1 gallon of milk per day is going to make you pee like crazy. You will be running in the bathroom constantly. If you drink a lot of water things get even worse.
4) Gomad is a diet that is NOT enjoyable. It’s not easy to drink 1 gallon of milk instantaneously. Even if you can it will make your stomach feel like shit.
It’s also going to be difficult if you decide to split the gallon into smaller parts throughout the day especially if you are away from home for many hours. Imagine having the need to carry with you a bottle of milk all day long to finish the 1 gallon.
5) Everything stated above about milk, antibiotics, hormones and diseases. If you still want to try GOMAD then be sure to buy whole raw milk from organic farms.
You can learn more about GOMAD here:
2.GOMAD Diet Review – Gallon of Milk A Day for Skinny Guys
The Best Alternatives For Milk: Almond Milk or Coconut Milk.
Unfortunately it’s extremely hard to find trustworthy farmers that have grass-fed healthy cows to buy raw milk. You can’t be sure how someone treats his dairy cattle when you are not there 24/7.
The possibilities that someone injects hormones to his animals even if he says that his milk is organic still exists. Additionally, it’s extremely difficult to find raw milk if you live in big industrial cities.
Fortunately, if you are a milk lover there is still hope for you. A hope which is healthier and easier to reach.
Almond milk or Coconut Milk. These two are extremely healthy and have delicious taste.
However in some places you can’t find almond milk to buy. Where I live, I couldn’t find almond milk anywhere. No supermarket was selling it. So I decided to make almond milk at home and it was pretty easy
How to Make Almond Milk At Home Effortlessly
It’s easier and less expensive to make your own almond milk instead of buying it. It’s also a great option if you are lactose intolerant.
What you need:
- 160 grams(1 cup) of raw, preferably organic almonds
- About 1L of Water
- Strainer & Blender
- Cheesecloth: a loose gauze-like cotton cloth used in cheese making and cooking
- Optionally for adding some flavour: vanilla, cocoa, sugar,honey, salt (You have to experiment to find the perfect combination).
Let the almonds soak into filtered water for about 8-16 hours. The best approach for me is to put them in the water at night right before I go to sleep. They are ready in the morning when I wake up.
- Put the almonds into a bowl or a measuring cup and fill it with water(filtered) until it covers the almonds(then let them soak).
- Drain the water using a strainer and put the almonds into a blender. Add 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of almonds.
- Blend it for 1-2 minutes until a nice, creamy milk is formed.
- Separate the almond milk from the almond pulp: Place the strainer on top of a bowl or a measuring cap. Put the cheesecloth on top of it and slowly pour the almond milk.
- Use a spoon to move the almond pulp around so the entire liquid goes into the bowl.
- Hold the sides of the cheesecloth and strain every last drop of milk. ( I haven’t used one but I recommend you to do so)
- Congrats! You have a frothy & fresh almond milk.
Nutritionally speaking, almond milk is very low in protein. About 0.7-1.1 gram per 100ml when normal milk provides you with 3-3.5 grams of protein per 100 ml. You need 3x almond milk to take the same amount of protein.
However the almond pulp,which is what is left on the cheesecloth after pouring all the liquid, is high in protein and can be used in making delicious protein smoothies.
Here you can find over 100 ideas on how to use the almond pulp: Almond Pulp Recipes
I recommend almond milk only as an alternative if you are a milk lover or if you just want to drink some milk once in a while. When it comes to taking the right amount of protein, you can do it without drinking milk
Do you like drinking almond milk? What do you think about the generic pasteurized milk? Let me know in the comments below.